the pencil reads

posts on articles, books and movies

Alone in the Universe, by David Wilkinson


I have one thing to say: QUIRKY. This book covered everything from UFO sightings to crop circles to conspiracy theories to life on Mars to Star Trek. I don't think I was in Wilkinson's target demographic group because everything was just a little too quirky for me.

What does the Carpenter's song "Calling all interplanetary craft" have to do with anything? Wilkinson starts one of his early chapters with a quote from this guy: "I am convinced there is life out there. It is only a matter of when we find it." Which made me sit up, choke a bit on my beverage of choice, and look at the cover again to check the title of what I was reading.

Wilkinson ends the book on a more sober note. He says that for now, there is very little evidence that points to life apart from earth, but that our desire to find other types of life-forms is representative of our longing NOT to be alone, and that we are in fact not alone, because Jesus came 2000-odd years ago.

I know Wilkinson isn't implying this, but the thought of Jesus as an alien form gives me the creeps.
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »

» Post a Comment