the pencil reads

posts on articles, books and movies

blogging big fish

I've had "blog big fish" on my to-do list for possibly two weeks now. This makes blogging too much like work, but I'm going to suck it in and "blog big fish" even though what I really want to blog about is this really spiffy new free programme I found recently, just so I can finally check "blog big fish" off from my list.

(As a side note, it is interesting how the different personality types think about to-do lists. If you are familiar with the Myer-Briggs test, `J' types see to do lists as an agenda, `P' types see to do lists as a reminder of things they have to do in the future. Guess which I am.)

I think I've been putting it off because I don't really know what to say about this book except to say that it is about myth and myth-making. This guy (see I can't even remember the guy's name!) makes his dad into this giant of a hero to compensate for the lack of communication between them.

Myth-making is not something that comes to me easily. When I tell a story, it is usually fairly factual like this: "Never cycle over bougainvillea because you will puncture your tyres," rather than something fantastic like this: "Man, you should see those thorns on that bougainvillea that ripped a huge gash in my tyres.. they were longer than my index finger and sharper than a steak knife.." You get the idea.

I had a wonderfully eccentric friend in school who was like that. She told a damn good story because of her ability to make a myth out of real life. Of course you never know how much is true and how much is exaggeration, but does it matter?

That's what `Big Fish' suggests, that life is a blend of story and fact.

Remember that friend who tells a great story? She now works in Chicago as a journalist.

And now I have blogged big fish. :)

Read more, or not
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »

» Post a Comment