the pencil reads

posts on articles, books and movies

Never let me go, by Kazuo Ishiguro


I've read more novels by Japanese authors this last six months than I have in my entire life. The last time I was at Borders, I noticed that it had an entire section dedicated to Japanese authors, including works by Shusaku Endo. I was surprised to find Endo's work so prominently displayed actually, considering he wrote in the 60s and with a predominantly Catholic perspective. Well, as they say, every dog has it's day.

Which leads me to think, when I finally write a novel, my pen name shall be Sukiyaki Go, or perhaps Wasabi Tei. Look out for me okay? :)

Anyway, back to the book. I'm not sure how to write about this book without giving it all away. Mystery is probably the most compelling aspect of this novel, and if I take it away by telling too much, the novel simply does not work.

So I'll simply leave a quote that moved me:

"a new world coming rapidly. More scientific, efficient, yes. More cures for the old sicknesses. Very good. But a harsh, cruel world. And I saw a little girl, her eyes tightly closed, holding to her breast the old kind world, one that she knew in her heart could not remain, and she was holding it and pleading, never to let her go."


And a gripe that Ishiguro does not address religion in this story.


Read just a little more
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »
| Back to Reads | Next »

» Post a Comment